Head of Engineering (Remote, NZ)
Sentro is an exciting and rapidly expanding NZ-based insurtech start-up with a growing number of international customers and partners. Our customers are insurance companies who offer their customers group employee benefits such as health or life insurance. Our mission and passion is to make it as easy as possible for employers to look after and delight their employees. The Sentro software application is a modern web and mobile SaaS platform with a focus on user experience, configurability and extensibility.
We’re looking for an experienced engineering lead and full-stack developer to join us as we embark on the next stage of our growth journey. You have a solid technical background as a developer and a good understanding of effective software development processes, but very importantly you believe in the power of success through people and great teamwork. You’ll be hands-on as a developer but also leading and supporting a small but growing team of software engineers. For the right candidate we see this role evolving into a VP Engineering or CTO role as the team and company grows.
You'll be part of a growing, talented, and supportive team where your ideas are genuinely valued and you have the opportunity to make a real impact on Sentro’s success. We work remotely but get together physically once a week and as needed in a shared co-working space in Auckland.
We use the latest development frameworks and codebases, using collaboration tools like JIRA, Slack, Loom, Miro and Coda and aim for a product development process that’s enjoyable for all. You’ll be supported by our CEO, COO, Technical Product Manager, Head of Customer Success and existing developers.
What you’ll do
- Support and grow your team’s technical abilities, improve development practices, and foster a supportive, curious, and pragmatic culture
- Help design, develop, and deliver new platform capabilities that help our customers provide the best employee benefits experience in the market
- Mentor our growing engineering team and support their career growth.
- Work with the Customer Success team to make our customer implementations smoother and faster each time.
- Help recruit and build new teams of software engineers as we grow.
What we’re looking for
- Experience leading a team of engineers and providing feedback and mentorship, ideally in a start-up / growth environment
- A desire to truly understand the problems that our product analysts, customer success team and customers face, and enthusiasm for solving them
- Several years of software development with modern full stack experience, ideally in .NET and Angular
- Experience with automated testing and CI/CD pipelines
- Cloud infrastructure experience (ideally Azure) and infrastructure-as-code
- Engineering experience in insurance, banking or accounting software would be a bonus
We’re an equal opportunities employer and offer share options to permanent employees. We welcome enquiries from anyone who might not meet all the criteria but is keen to learn and grow with us (we’re also looking for more full-stack software engineers).
Get in touch for a chat about what your new job might look like 😊.